ReadingMinnesota is a site dedicated to celebrating authors, publishers, and book stores with strong ties to Minnesota. For books, this typically means that the author was born in or lived in Minnesota at the time the post went live. For book-related businesses (including freelance editors and illustrators), this means that they must have a business presence in Minnesota.
The primary author of all posts on ReadingMinnesota is Mike Kalmbach. Mike is an author and freelance editor living in southeastern Minnesota. You can read more about him and his books at http://readingminnesota.com/mike-kalmbach/
A new book is featured every Monday and Friday at 6am.
Before submitting, please read this section in full.
While most qualified submissions will be approved and scheduled for a feature at a future date, ReadingMinnesota reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason. These reasons may include:
- Rudeness during communication
- Signs of poor quality (multiple typos or grammatical errors in sample, poor cover design, etc)
- Books that support hateful messages or intolerance of religion, race, gender, or sexual preference
- Books that are intended to spread conspiracy theories or anti-science views
- Books that are primarily erotica
If a submission falls into one of these categories or is rejected for a different reason, you will receive a polite email stating that this submission is not a good fit for ReadingMinnesota at this time.
Multiple submissions from the same author are accepted. Note that ReadingMinnesota prefers placing at least three months between posts for the same author, so please note your highest priority book in your submission.
- include at least one author that lives or was born in Minnesota AND/OR have a primary setting in Minnesota
- be available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or another online bookseller
- have a minimum of a 3-star average for reviews OR be a new release
Book submissions should include:
- Book title
- Author title
- Goodreads, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble link
- Short synopsis or back cover text
- Author bio
Book publishers should include:
- Publisher name
- Type of publisher (self-publishing, assisted publishing, traditional publishing, hybrid, etc.)
- Short (1-3 paragraphs) description of publisher
- Desired genres
- Services offered
Freelance editors, illustrators, and literary agents should include:
- Preferred genres
- Services offered (developmental editing vs. copywriting vs. proofreading, children’s books vs. book covers, other specialties)
- Approximate fees (where appropriate)
- At least three book titles where you performed a primary role
- Three references (will not be shared publicly)
All submissions should be submitted to Mike Kalmbach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the links in the posts on this blog are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, ReadingMinnesota will receive an affiliate commission. This is disclosed in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”